Hazelnut and walnut
- Identification, evaluation and valorization of interesting hazelnut and walnut genotypes. Evaluation in situ, collection, reservation and characterization ex situ of interesting genotypes.
- Improvement of hazelnut and walnut cultivation via the import and evaluation of new cultivars and rootstocks.
- Organize and participate in almond tree growing training.
- Many hazelnut cultivars have been evaluated for morphological and fruit chemical characteristics, yield, time of flowering etc. At present our collection has 12 hazelnut cultivars.
- Many walnut cultivars and rootstocks have been evaluated for yield and fruit quality characteristics.
- In the frame of the SAFENUT project: ʽSafeguard of almond and hazelnut genetic resources from traditional uses to modern agro industrial opportunitiesʼ the following actions were carried out. Survey of local almond genotypes and Characterization in respect to morphological, chemical (phenolic profile, oil, lipid and nutrient contents) and genetic profile.